..damper seating..

Sat, 07 Feb 1998 10:28:18 -0800

Keith McGavern wrote:

> Part of Del Fandrich's post:
> >...Baldwin verticals do not use that type of action mounting. The top of
> >the bracket is
> >curved in to meet a cast stud on the plate. There is a hole in the top of
> >the action
> >bracket through which a bolt is place affixing the top of the bracket to
> >the plate...
>
> The newer models, yes; for older models, no.  For the newer models I've
> usually found it's just a matter of starting with the bolt that goes in the
> easiest.  Get that one started, and it facilitates the next bolt, and so
> on.  If one tries to start with the bolt that goes in the hardest, well, it
> can produce momentary fits of frustation.  :-)

If you're really lucky. And if they've mended their ways.

During the 80's it was not unusual to find the bottom studs driven up at least 1/4" too
high. No gauge was used to set the height of these studs. The brackets are aluminum and
simply bent to accommodate. Believe me, if you remove one of these actions without doing
something, there is no way you are going to get it back in without doing some major work.

You can tell how difficult this is going to be by judging how difficult it is to remove
the upper bolts.

In general, not the best way to mount vertical actions.

Good luck.

Del