perplexed

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sat, 07 Feb 1998 12:54:44 -0500

List,
I ask you to help me sort through this.

I have a grand on consignment with a dealer closer to Boston.
I supplied an artist bench with it. He has taken a deposit on the
piano and some bass strings were added yesterday for the customer's
final OK.  When I asked how did the customer like the artist bench,
he said he sold the piano with a standard bench and tersely added,
"I'm keeping it".  This took me aback and I did not respond.

Would I be justified to request my artist bench returned and instead
supply an standard bench?

If the deal does not go through, I am going to ask for my bench back
and drop ship and standard bench.  But I fear that he has already sold it
with another piano. Maybe not but that was the impression I get.
Pure supposition, but I wouldn't doubt it.

This has left me with a very uncomfortable feeling. Since I am not making much
on it and he is making 200% more than I due to his location and 'scales'
pitch;
I mean sales pitch but that's ok, I still got my asking price; more power
to him.
It's just the principle of the thing, I regard it as an ethical question.

Under reversed circumstances, I would return the bench to him
out of friendship alone without hesitation.

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)