Key Bushings

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 00:08:50 -0500

Jim,

Just a thought but would it be possible to add a tiny bit of dish detergent
to the water?  That would help cut  through the goo but would it damage the
wood?

best,
chris

>Ed, Bob;
> Ed, Bill Spurlocks high molecular weight cauls get
>kinda limp at that temperature :-)
>(another way of saying I don't use brass cauls). Hadn't thought of the
>wallpaper remover though;  So I tried it after your post and it also beads up
>without soaking in.
>
>Bob I use the method that you suggest and it has always worked just fine.
>
>The problem seems to be that the felt bushing, having been soaked with a
>lubricant of some kind will not accept the water/alcohol mixture.  On
>application it just beads up like water on a new wax job on your car.
>
>I can get some of the bushings out by steaming for two or three times and
>thoroughly driving the steam until it apparently is coming up through the wood
>behind the bushing.
>This creates the problem of excessive wood tearout, I think. :-(
>
>I think I will try a little acetone, then steam, unless there might be a
>problem that someone knows of with doing that.  As I am also replacing the
>keyfronts and tops there will be no problem with messing up the key coverings.
>  Maybe Ralph caused......nah, not Ralph !
>Thanks for your prompt responses.
>Jim Bryant (FL)

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH

-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (614) 593-1656    fax# (614) 593-1429