Key Bushings

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 16:10:01 EST

List;
 I am currently working on a set of keys whose front rail bushings, indeed the
entire front of the keys, has been soaked in McLube or some similar substance.
 My usual method of soaking the bushing, allowing to stand, and then steaming
is not working especially well.  The water alcohol mixture is beading up and
the steam does not seem to be penetrating as well as it normally would.   This
is causing quite a bit of 'tear out' in the mortises.  The old bushings are
glued in with the white heat activated wafers.
 Any ideas? Tricks?
Jim Bryant (FL)