bobbling hammers-1993 Kranich&Bach

atonal@planet.eon.net atonal@planet.eon.net
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 13:18:52 +0000

Hi Lance,

	The path I take with this type of service is to identify if that
would solve the problem, i.e.: will moving capstans fix your bobbling
hammers? In my case, the concern was more to do with heavy key touch
than the hammer bobbling. However, I found that moving the capstans
seemed to assist in 1) changing touch weight which was excessive down
and non-existant up and 2) allow the regulation to fall within a more
'normal' parameter.
	Looking at the capstans, they were at the back edge of the
whippen cushion felt. For capstan position, I marked end keys of a
section directly underneath the wip cushion felt. I moved the
capstans to this mark and plugged the holes, and compared with the
next keys. I moved them roughly 1/4 inch forward. Using end keys of
each section, I moved capstans on each, and when these keys  were
complete, I used them to mark the rest of the section. I drilled a
1/4" hole (drill press) at the mark on each key, which seemed to work
well with the capstan thread diameter. Removal and replacement of the
capstans was hastened by using my Makita 3/8" cordless drill,
hand-tightening the chuck over the capstan, _firmly_ holding the key,
and spinning it either in or out. Total time for this operation was
about 1.5 hours, once I deduced that this would help rather than
hinder my objective.
	After moving the capstans, much regulation
ensued. At least 2 hours worth. I billed 4 hours of my shop rate for
this entire operation.  I was more fortunate, as this took place in
the store where my shop is, I dollied it into the shop (can't roll
these gems), did the work, and returned it to the show floor.
	Now, for bobbling hammers. The weight of the hammer head, the
compressed action, and  the absence of a hammer return spring rail
all contribute to hammer checking problems.  I find that  raising the
hammer line, and subsequently dialing up capstans increases
aftertouch, and gets the jack away from the butt leather, allowing
the hammer to check on softer blows. Extra key dip helps as well, and
you'll have to experiment to find what combination works best, and
also allows for a respectable letoff, around 1/8". Even after all of
these tasks are completed, you will still have hammer bobbling under
certian conditions, soft playing with the sustain pedal fully
depressed, the action simply cannot be regulated to overcome
this.

	Before you start any work, get your warranty work approval from
Baldwin. For warranty repairs on this or any Baldwin product, I call
Kent Webb @ 1-800-876-2976 ext. 8585, or if you get a message, same
number, but hit 2 then 1 rather than the 8585 ext. Have the piano
make (I assume this is a BP-50 model) model, serial, date of sale and
purchaser's name. Explain the problem and your proposed repair. Kent
is excellent at suggestions and your claim will be entered into the
Baldwin system. As I am a dealer technician, we are reimbursed
through dealer credit. You can ask Kent how this applies to your
situation. Personally, I'm pretty sure the local dealer techncian is
unaware of this procedure, or it would have been instituted in this
case.

Any questions, just e-mail

Good Luck!

Rob Kiddell RPT