Concert prep help

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 08:19:59 EST

<<
2. What would be the best diplomatic approach to explaining the situation
to the pianist if, as I fear will happen, the pianist is not happy with the
instrument?>>

    Don't put yourself in a postition to be responsible for an unmaintained
action.  I would tune the piano, as I was hired to do, and if the artist
complains, diplomatically steer him to the hall manager, who is paid to
explain to artists why the facilities are sub-standard.    If you do a little
"triage" regulation, and something goes wrong with the show,  it is going to
be "all your fault"!
   If they won't pay for proper maintenance, let them suffer the consequences
without you stuck in the middle as a buffer. After one or two artists condemn
the venue, somebody may decide it is worth it to spend the money to have it
right.
<Been there, had it done to me>
good luck,
Ed Foote