A River Ran/Water repairs

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 08:28:28 -0600

I live in Louisiana where I have done probably 100 estimates on water
damaged pianos in the last 5 years, and I also used to work for the Kimball
dealer.  I just thought I'd mention that I am often amazed at how glue
joints seem unfazed by total submersion in water (our humidity level here
is like total submersion).  I look at the soundboard, bridges, etc., and
many times, despite complete submersion, the piano looks fine except for
hard felt and rust.  I always let them know that we can't tell when a glue
joint may fail in the future due to this sort of thing.  I would also
mention that Kimball and other manufactures have been using really good
glue on bridges, etc., I forget now what it's called.  It is tan in color.

On the rusted strings (like down near the bass bridge) when only the
hitches are rusted, I sometimes use a product called CRC which closes the
pores of the metal.  This does not allow air into the molecules and
prevents any further corrosion.  This would NOT work near the pinblock
however, since it is some sort of petroleum-type product.  It smells a
little like Liquid Wrench.  I use it when I see that the customer doesn't
want to/can't spend money on restringing and really needs to spend $ on a
new bed, refrigerator, etc.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.