hammer return springs

Mike Masters agraffes@worldnet.att.net
Thu, 05 Feb 1998 00:22:51 +0000

Keith McGavern wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I am preparing to replace hammer return springs on a K & C compact action.
> Do you have any
> tricks or special tools in removing the old spring tails and inserting the
> new ones other than ordering a new rail with springs already attached?
>
> Keith A. McGavern
> kam544@ionet.net
> Registered Piano Technician
> Oklahoma Chapter 731
> Piano Technicians Guild
> USA

	I recently replaced the springs on a Kimball (that I had no idea about
the chemical problem, and Kimball would have sent me a replacement rail
at no cost) It was rather quite simple.
	Removed the rail from the action frame. Clamped rail to bench with
spring tail side up. Remove Hammer Spring Rail Felt to expose the spring
tails. used a small standard screw driver to bend the tail out of the
groove on the underside. The springs literally fell out if I got them
straight enough. Find a proper replacement size. install new springs.
Use same screwdriver blade to bend the new tail back into the groove.
Reglue rail felt back into place. It took about 30 minutes, including
removal and installation.
	The spring tension is going to be much stronger in the new springs and
will need to be regulated. I do a rough pass with the rail on the bench.
I think that it goes much faster to do a rough pass then a fine
regulation with the action in the piano.
	In the Kimball pianos the springs are NOT glued into the rail.
Therefore it was easy to remove the springs. If they have been glued,
Then I may not be the best person to ask. I think that a little
wallpaper paste remover and a center pin punch (or something even
smaller diameter) would work well. Maybe. Just a thought.

Mike Masters
Masters Piano Service
Lakewood, OH