1/2 cent difference on unison

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 00:31:14 -0600 (CST)

>Part of Bill Bremmer's, RPT, post dated Fri, 30 Jan 1998 00:41:33 EST:
>...At perhaps 1 1/2 cents or so low, my
>pitch is still well within the PTG resolution specification of "A-440, + or -
>1 c.p.s."...

Bill, List,

I'm not certain what you meant by "PTG resolution specification", so I
waited awhile before responding to this statement, figuring someone else
would.  No one did.

The only specification I could figure you were referring to is the Piano
Technicians Guild (PTG) Tuning Exam for setting A440 with a tuning fork.
So I asked an Certified Tuning Examiner (CTE) to explain the + or -
tolerance for setting A440 on the tuning exam.

If I am to understand that 1 c.p.s. equals approximately 4 cents (here is
where I get confused and may be in error which I trust someone will correct
forthrightly), then there is a slight discrepancy in your numbers.  Here is
the correct method to determine the + or -  tolerance for setting A440:

"The tolerance is 1 cent.  If, for example, the examinee's pitch setting is off
by 1.9c, we subtract 1c from that, leaving an error of .9; the kicker is that
there is a multiplier for the penalty points.  For the pitch setting the
multiplier is 10, so a .9 error becomes 9 points off for a score of 91 in that
section."

This would only allow 3 cents deviation + or - to pass according to my
calculations.  Anything over that would fail that portion of the PTG tuning
exam.  Do I have this correctly?

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician