Piano differences

David W. Pitsch dpitsch@ix.netcom.com
Mon, 02 Feb 1998 19:23:24 -0700

I wonder how different it would have been if all six concert grands were of the
same make and model?  Anyway, a fun thing to try sometime.

When I was getting my degree in music one of my professors took us to his home
and the class members listened to recordings.  Back then they were LP's, even
better to do this now with CD quality.  As we listened to different artists
playing the same piece, we analyzed the differences.  To
my surprise most of the students could distinguish what make of piano was being
played upon.

Even though individual pianos from the same maker may vary in tone, it is
possible to hear in recordings the difference between a NY "D", Hamburg "D",
Bosendorfer, Baldwin, or whatever.
Of course, you have to be fair about this and have someone else put the
recording on, least you figure out what the piano is by knowing who the
recording artist is.  Try it!