Rebuilding Artist Benches (New Thread)

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 16:23:12 -0600

Rob,
Just lately I've done several repairs and wondered some of these same
things.  At first glance I can't imagine them not being worth working on
since they are so expensive new.  I find the rocking to happen from the
four plate screws in the center that screw into the press-board bottom of
the seat (stripped screw hole) and also from the metal to metal joints that
are "pressure-fit" (I forget what it's called when a pin is driven in, then
hammered to widen and tighten the two parts together).  I wondered what
taking the parts out and beating them on an anvil would do to tighten them.
 I have also found the stop collar to be out of adjustment and the allen
screw to be stripped.   This causes the stool to be allowed to be raised
higher than intended and the whole mechanism gets out of wack.   The last
two benches I worked on were Baldwin and Yamaha (both 70's).
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.
lafargue@iamerica.net