Rebuilding Artist Benches (New Thread)

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 16:16:55 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 1 Feb 1998, Robert Goodale wrote:

> Has anyone looked into to rebuilding artist benches?  I have a number of
> them that not only need recovering (upholstery or "Nauga" if you will),
> but also have various problems with the adjusting mechanism.

Hi, Bob.

I don't know if it's possible or practical to rebuild them, or not, but
I do have a serious comment which reflects feedback from a number of
people who use them. If it is possible to rebuild them, it would be really
great if someone could find a way to put more padding into the seats to
make them a bit more comfortable. To anyone who practices for long periods
of time at a stretch, they can eventually become a real pain in the you-
know-what--even more so than a plain wooden bench. When paying big bucks
for a great-looking, adjustable bench, it seems foolish to have to use a
cushion on top of it. Yet I know pianists who do just that! Further, the
pianists who invest in such benches are usually those who practice the
most. Just a thought.

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net