Newton, PDQ Bach etc.

David Boyce David@bouncer.force9.net
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 21:15:35 -0000

Hi folks,

For PDQ Bach, I'd like to suggest Uneven Temperament.  Or, possibly,
Uncertain Temperament.

Newton, if you have opportunity to tune for Prof. Peter Schikele again,
will you convey to him the appreciation of this particular Scotsman for
bringing to the notice of an insufficiently grateful world the work of this
unjustly neglected composer.  I have the CD's (and an LP), and one of my
customers has lent me the biography.  Mr. Schikele is to be congratulated
for the scholarly rigor of that work.
Also Newton,  thanks for your comments about fortepianos, which are all
true, of course.  There was a class at the Piano Tuners Association
convention a few years ago taken by Derek Adlam, who builds fortepianos.
He spoke of 'a combination of all these lightnesses'. I know all the
arguments, and it's all quite convincing.  But I still think it's a dead
end, and I guess I really just don't like it!  Furthermore, if you listen
to Brendel's recording of Bach's Italian Concerto, played on a concert
grand (presumably Steinway) you'd say "who needs harpsichords either".
Thanks however, Newton, for your interesting comments, and your good
wishes, which have got the week off to a nice start!

Dan, thanks for mentioning the Dick Hyman recording, which I'll look into,
also the Sheffield Lab discs.  Dick Hyman did a fine and very comprehensive
set of Joplin recordings in the 70's, on vinyl.  Boxed set of 3 LP's, as I
recall.  Don't know what piano he played, but If I think back, I don't
think it sounded like a Steinway.  Could be wrong though - such a thing has
been known!

Richard, you ask about the Wayne Stuart Concert Grand which I mentioned.
There was a thread about this a while ago, but in case any are interested
who missed it, I'll mention again that it is in the concert hall of
Newcastle University's Conservatorium of Music, New South Wales, Australia.
 The piano is built by Mr stuart entirely from scratch (including the
action) with the aim of offering something new in piano design.  Strings
are coupled to the bridge in a new way which limits the plane of the
decaying vibration to the vertical, thus lengthening the tone and altering
the harmonic content.  the piano has four pedals.
There is a website with pictures but not much technical information at
http://www.newcastle.edu.au/department/fmu/stuart1.html

Piano hammers - I looked at Bechstein uprights (among others) last October.
 Both the 122cm and the 131cm have Renner actions, but whereas the 122 has
Renner hammers, the 131 was fitted with Abel hammers, which seemed much
superior.
Incidentally on the subject of quality uprights - I tried them all, on
behalf of a client.  Steinway, Bluthner, Boston,
Seiler, Bechstein, hand-finished Yamaha SU131 etc.  And the one that to my
mind beats them hands-down and has the undoubted 'tingle factor' is the
Bosendorfer, which is just magnificent.  Only make I haven't tried, and
would love to, is  Steingraeber, whose 138cm is the largest upright piano
in production.  Anyone come across Steingraeber?

Best wishes.

David Boyce

David@bouncer.force9.net