I need everyone's attention for a moment.

D. Parkhurst wind@crl.com
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 01:58:28 -0800

Hello Pianotechers,

For the last several years I have been maintaining the website that
provides full text searches throughout the archives of this mailing list.
Although I rarely contribute to the discussions this project has been
for me an opportunity to provide a useful service to piano technicians
everywhere, well, at least those with computers and the time to use
them. Which brings me to my point: I will no longer have enough time
to continue the task of maintaining and updating the website.

In other words, my website, the ever popular Pianotech Mailing List
Full-Text Searcher, is now searching for a new home and owner.
Perhaps the Guild might provide server space and someone would
volunteer to take on webmeister duties for the site?

Currently, these are the statistics:

URL = http://www.webcom.com/wind/ptsearch.html
Size = >61MB and growing at ~1MB per month
Visitors per day = 10>100
Hits per day = 50>400

I have been spending about two hours per month actively maintaining
the site. With clever automation (in other words, programming) it
should be possible to reduce the time spent to almost none at all.
Alas, my programming skills are minimal and so I've been stuck with
those two hours each month when I check and format, upload and
index the month's worth of digests which I've been steadily receiving
as email. That's all.

If someone were enthusiastic they could add features and pizzazz to
the site and thus possibly attract more users, although it's always
been my idea to keep it simple and fast (less work, too).
Nevertheless, I'm quite certain there remains plenty of room for
improvement.

Perhaps this could become the project of a local chapter or student
group? This could be the opportunity of a lifetime. Perhaps even a
piano related company or two might be interested in sponsoring the
Searcher?

In any event my part in keeping this website online will have to end
soon. If no recourse is forthcoming I will need to close it down. Should
this be the case it would be sad as I know it has been both a valuable
service and an educative tool. Gabby piano technicians...gotta love'm.

For the curious let me explain my reasons for bowing out. I have
decided, after 19 years of computing, to divest myself of all my
computers (I have seven) and thereby regain a huge amount of time
and resources with which to Do Other Things such as spend time
with real people, work on pianos, invent things, read books, bicycle
and perfect a sunny disposition. Practically all my friends have
computers, often more than one, so I'm hoping to keep up an email
presence by occasionally using their machines; this should have an
indulging and a limiting effect on any residual computer addiction that
may linger.

I find I'm looking forward to this as a wonderful change in my life and
hope our piano community can produce the support that will enable
the Searcher website to continue and even improve.

If you've never even known about the website until now, please check
it out.
    http://www.webcom.com/wind/ptsearch.html

Yours truly,

David Parkhurst