Negative crown

Tue, 29 Dec 1998 18:54:12 -0800

Doug Richards wrote:

> Ron,
> Very well put.  I think we are talking the same language.  The only
> difference I have is my dislike for the word "impedance".  In my line of
> work, the only people that talk of impedance is them electrical guys (you
> know, the ones that need scopes to see what they are doing).  I am much more
> comfortable talking about mode shapes, resonant frequencies, dynamic
> coupling and the like and leave the impedance to the EE's.
>
> The reason I replied to your thread in the first place is reflecting on
> that optimized the impedance so that the Killer Octaves died.  Maybe we
> haven't figured out the best way to kill it yet...  (or more likely, another
> manufacturing problem or reliability issue comes up again).
>
> Anyway,  thanks for the reply.  And YES, we are having fun!
> doug

Ah, but Doug, the idea of mechanical impedance, or wave impedance, is very
important if one is to understand the function of a vibrating body such as the
piano soundboard.  It is a function of the square root of the inertia times the
springiness of the vibrating system.  For a simple and piano specific
explanation of mechanical impedance, might I suggest the chapter on Sound
Production in Pianos in Arthur H Benade's book, "Fundamentals of Musical
Acoustics."

Regards,

Del