new hammer flanges

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 21:27:43 -0500

I recntly tuned an old upright...about 70 yrs old. Someone had put on
new hammers, shanks, butts, and flanges.  The problem is that the
flanges were loose and hammer alignment was everywhere.

Tonight I came back to tighten flanges and align hammers.  I suspect
that the problem is that the flanges do not fit the rail properly...not
a tight enough fit.  I tried every flange I had in my kit, all from
Schaff or APSCO. None of them fit very well.

Is this just the way things are?  Does no one make good replacement
flanges?

I've been doing piano work since '91 and never replaced an upright
flange...lucky I guess! On grands, the painos have been in production so
it was easy to get good rreplacements.
--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member