butt plate clips loose

Steve Pearson SPearson@yamaha.com
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 10:06:44 -0800

Years ago, I went through much of the scene you describe.  Finally, I ordered a replacement rail from Schaff at the recommendation of a fellow tech.  In retrospect, I wondered why I was so reluctant to replace the rail.  It was not expensive, and remarkably easy.  Compared to the gyrations I went through to avoid replacing the rail,  it was a piece of cake.  All Schaff needed was a tracing, or the damaged rail.  I don't even remember which I sent.  It would surprise me if they don't still have duplication service for these.  If they don't, a local machine shoup would have no difficulty doing it for you.  Either way, it is the right way to do it, and you will never need to worry about those nasty little Rube Goldberg clamps again.
M $.02 worth.
Steve

>>> Philip Jamison <mortier@netreach.net> 12/27 5:00 PM >>>
I'm plagued by an Aeolian upright which has 2 broken tongues on the
brass butt rail. These were repaired by the "T"-shaped clips and held
for some years. For some reason, they now keep working themselves off
(may be the new pianist; it's in a restaurant). I tried a little thick
super glue; they held about 4 weeks. I thought to try soldering next,
but feel the rail may just dissipate the heat. Any ideas short of
replacing the rail?

Philip Jamison
West Chester, PA