Sangler & Sohne bass pins

Jay Mercier jaymercier@hotmail.com
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 08:32:44 PST

I recently serviced a German-made Sangler & Sohne console in which I
found to be very frustrating.

It was 5 years old and had been serviced regularly but the past tuners
(3 of them) had never tuned it to A=440.  The client complained about
her past tunings and decided to call a fourth tuner - me!

It was about a half step low in pitch.  The pins were very tight.  I
thought "I wonder if this piano is supposed to be tuned a half step low
or what?  Made in Europe with a pea-green plate, who knows."  The fact
that the bass strings looked smaller than the usual console bass strings
also led me to believe the pitch could possibly be lower.  But, I took a
chance and raised the pitch to A=440.

POP!  There goes one bass string.  Should I continue?  I did so after
lubricating the contact points on the V-bar. No other strings broke.

What was disturbing was that the bass windings were almost touching the
V-bar.  The bass pins were overlapping the next bass string to the right
of it and on some of the pins I couldn't even fit my tuning lever on it
due to the underlying string next to it.  Some of the pins were only
slightly bent.

It was not a good day.

Anyone have a comment and/or has serviced these pianos and found these
type of problems?

Jay Mercier
Piano Technician / Music Educator
Glenwood, MN