carpet beetle infestation

Scott Rogers imn2n440@netscape.net
16 Dec 98 20:11:47 PST

I was called to do a damage evaluation to a Steinway A in an art museum that
was infested with the varied carpet beetle. I pulled the action out to let
them try to determine if in fact the bugs had been chowing on the felt. I
guess it is wool that they like. They could not find any distinct signs that
the bugs had been in the piano (IE tiny piles of felt, holes burrowed into the
hammers, etc) The plan now is to just have me vacuum the piano thouroughly,
before moving it to another building. Obviously they don't want to rebuild the
piano, but an old pump organ that was in the same building was completely
destroyed. Has anyone ever had this experience? What was the outcome? This is
a first for me, as it is for them, so any info would be appreciated.
Scott Rogers, RPT