Adjusting Bluthner Pedals

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 09:08:24 -0600 (CST)

James,

   Yesterday, I tuned a Bluthner concert grand (9' 2") for a local dealer,
app. 1-2 yrs. old, I think. It had quite a few damper problems which I
also had to work on to stop ringing trichords & bichords. The piano is
going out on a rental today for a church Christmas concert tomorrow.
There's a professional pianist being brought in to accompany and perform,
so I'd like to do as much as I can to improve these problems. The church
may also consider buying this instrument if they like it, so that's one
more reason.
   My questions are these. After adjusting the capstan type things for
the damper tray lift with the pedal, I now need to take up a little slack
in the sustain pedal. There doesn't seem to be any way to do this without
adding shims of some kind. Is this correct? I didn't have time to remove
the lyre and really look into it, so maybe I missed something.
   The only traditional adjustable rod was on the left pedal. Is "this"
correct? Or have movers along the line somewhere gotten the rods out of
position? Why aren't all three rods adjustable?
   Since he asked me yesterday if I could do some service/prep type work
for him (primarily European brands), and the Bluthner also needs a good
deal 'more' prep work, I would appreciate any information you (or anyone
on the list) could give me concerning the Bluthner. Is there any kind of
service manual available? Thanks.

Regards,
Avery

P.S. I Cc'd this to the piano lists also in case you don't get this until
next week.

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston