Tools On Airlines

Don Mannino dmannino@kawaius.com
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 10:04:02 -0800

Joel,

I fly with my tools very often. I have done it both ways - checked and carry
on.

If possible, reduce your tool load to a minimum, put them in a small case,
and carry it on. The security checkpoint usually requires that you open it,
but that is all. I just explain that they are piano technician's tools, let
them look at them, and that's it.

When I must carry a larger supply, I use a strong case, lock it, and strap
it with plastic banding straps for extra security. I also put plastic bubble
pack inside to take up any extra space to keep the tools from banging around
when the baggage handlers throw the tool box around.

When crossing into Canada there is often a problem with customs, as they do
not want to see US citizens going up there to work for pay.

Don Mannino RPT