Tools On Airlines

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 08:45:34 EST

<< I will be flying with my tuning toolkit in a week. I would prefer
 to take the tool case with me as carry-on luggage. However I
 am not sure how the security people will perceive all the
 unusual tools. I would hate to check it as baggage and never
 see it again. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect?

 Thanks in advance.
 Joel

Tuning tools will pass through security with no problems. They might want to
have you open you case and see what you have, but I haven't had any problems
with it. What they don't like is long objects that can be used to kill or maim
people, like big sciccors, a large knife, etc. A tuning hammer and wire
cutters aren't enough of a threat.

I did have trouble with a 3 lbs sledge hammer once. I was teaching a class at
a seminar on restringing, and had this sledge with me in my suitcase, (along
with the other restringing tools.) This was during the Iraq War. They just
didn't trust me with it. Of course I didn't help my own cause when I said,
sarcastically, "What, you think I'm going to hit the pilot over the head with
this thing".

Willem Blees