Tools On Airlines (Reply)

FRED W TREMPER f.trempe@morehead-st.edu
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 06:17:24 -0500 (EST)

Joel:
This does not answer your question, but let me tell you an experience I
had.  Several years ago I went through security with my case full of
tools.  The people watching the x-ray were more interested in chatting
among themselves than to pay attention.  The result was that I was
flagged through with a nonchalant wave of the wrist.  I then saw a Delta
Airline pilot and called him aside.

I opened my case and showed him my tools which through an x-ray would
have looked like a gun, knives, and, probably, a bomb.  When I told him I
was passed through security he became almost livid.  This was at the time
when airline hijacking had become quite common.  He said he would take
care of it.  I could tell he was serious.  I never learned what happened,
but I suspect the security people were in deep trouble.

If you take your tools with you be sure to have your PTG membership card and
your business card with you.  These will identify you as a professional and
you will be passed through.

Fred