installing new knuckles

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 09 Dec 1998 12:02:27 -0600

Hi Kieth,
             I have been installing them max friction going in, min return,
Barrie has got me really thinking, as I can't even recall when or why I was
taught that way, but it makes sense. But 1 to 2 mm of clearence re
balancier seems  very wide, and IMHO would significantly increase
roller/knuckle wear, as well as give a bumpy feel to the action.
  Jack height I always set by feel, by winking the jack, and observing the
jack return to the spoon, by fine tuning the jack in this manner you can
obtain max rep and power, plus inprove consistency.
  Barrie's method of gluing with hot glue, is the way I was taught, but in
our extremely dry climate, it is prone to a lot more clicking. If the new
knuckles are a tight mechanical fit, (ideal) I'll dry them down in the oven
for about 3hrs, and they just slip into the slots very nicely.
  Like you I would love to see the explaination of why and how. Also some
technical comparisons of one direction vs the other.
Regards Roger

At 09:23 AM 09/12/98 -0600, you wrote:
>>...The smooth surface is oriented in
>>the direction of the jack escaping for a smooth touch...
>>
>>Jon Page
>
>I would never have thought I would have to ask this again, but it appears I
>will have to do so.
>
>This direction of the "knap of the knuckle" thing.  What Jon and Barrie
>have mentioned does not ring correctly from what I thought I understood a
>long time ago.
>
>So.............
>
>Which is it?  Smooth on the way out or smooth on the way in.  Is there
>anyone who can officially settle this matter, please?
>
>Keith McGavern
>kam544@earthlink.net
>Registered Piano Technician
>Oklahoma Chapter 731