voicing with VODKA

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Tue, 08 Dec 1998 21:38:22 -0500

In Susan Kline's article this month, she describes the use of vodka to
soften hammers.  I have some questions:

1. How long should I waite for the solution to take effect?

2. Is this method better or worse than steaming?

3. How does this compare to fabric softener/alchohol solution method?

Another subject:

Hey, I got burned again on a voicing problem. I tuned a Kawai with lots
of false beats in the top.  There were some bad strings in the bass, but
overall, a good sound, better than most.

The customer calls and says there is buzzing in about ten strings from
E4 on down.  I have her play some unisons, they were good except for a
mismatched unison in the bass.  Then I had her play some octaves, all
good.

Over the phone, it's hard to hear buzzing because the phone only passes
voice frequencies, but I could hear some buzzing.  I ignored it durng
the tuning  becuase most folks don't seem to notice it..it's very faint.

I explained that there may be some voicing problems from what I could
hear and perhaps some of the strings were bad. It did not sound like a
tuning problem and would take a little work.

So now she's calling the dealer and I suspect I'll never see her again.
I can't understand why people refuse to try to work out a problem.
Perhaps they feel that tuning solves all problems. I can see how you
full-service techs have an advantage...you fix what needs fixing.

I should have been tipped-off that she'd be a pain when she said her
piano teacher said never to pay over $65 for a tuning. I charge $80
minimum for first time clients, which seems about normal for my area.

I feel better now ( well, only a little better).
--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member