ribs and stuff (was alternatives.)

Doug Richards Doug.Richards@quantum.com
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 00:42:18 -0800

Del,

I don't know if I buy that.  Is the plate in or out?  Regardless, my gut
says it would take a very large force from the pipe clamp to measure a
difference in crown.  I think the sound board is constrained all the way
around, but a force outward will not necessarily "suck" the crown out unless
the force is HUGE (my gut feel only).

I have an idea.  Since you do soundboard replacement, I'd propose an
experiment:

1.  Take a soundboard has been crowned before installation, lay it on a flat
surface and "somehow" measure the force/deflection rate.
2.  Repeat the force/deflection measurement after the board is glued in
(with the plate installed).

3.  And since I have an outline of a soundboard for a FEA prediction for
simply supported Vs constrained, I have no excuse.  We can compare notes.

What do ya think?

Regards,
doug richards
San Jose, CA