celesta (chelesta?)

Fri, 04 Dec 1998 23:39:46 -0800

David,

Of the hammers presently in production, the Renner Blue, or
Concert Encore from Wally Brooks come the closest to what
used to be used in production Schiedmayer celestas.

While it would be possible to use softer hammer and harden it
up, the mechanism of the celeste is finicky enough without
messing with hammer weights.  At least with the Schiedmayer,
regulation does not depend on one's ability to make small
adjustments (to balance tension) by bending wires that are
long and kinky to begin with (Jenco).

Also, I've found it helpful to replace some of the bushing felt
used in various places with backcheck leather.

Lotsa work.  Not so much fun.
Good luck!

Horace