ribs and stuff (was alternatives.)

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 11:19:18 EST

Greetings,
   Stephen writes:

 > The deflection of a centre-loaded
>beam is directly proportional to the loading force until the region of
>plastic deformation is reached. The proportionality constant - stiffness
>parameter - depends on the material properties and the geometry of the
>beam, span length, width and depth, but it *is* constant (unlike a
>hardening spring which is non-linear *below* the plastic deformation
>region).
>A crowned soundboard is essentially a pre-stressed beam, the amount of
>crown being a measure of the pre-stressing.

OK,  so I got some questions> (?:}}

   I would like to ask, is that rib correctly regarded as only  a "beam"?  Is
there no "arch" aspect to the manner in which downward force is vectored
outward?  What is the centripedal resonator actually doing in those Masons?
    If a board rises up when being destrung, is it because the soundboard is
losing compression across its grain and expanding?  Or are the edges coming in
with the case in the absence of downbearing pressure?
Wondering on the weekend
Ed Foote
(also puzzling over the strangest stringing scale I have ever seen, can't wait
to try it!)

 The purpose of the