Celeste Parts? Is it worth it?

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Fri, 04 Dec 1998 11:07:56 -0500

Hi Rob,
   I got the same Celeste, locally known as Junko.  The case is made of
pressboard which forms various contortions of square, i.e paralellagram,
until i replaced the cloth back with plywood.  The plastic butts/wippens
(whatever they are) break regularly so i've wood ones from scratch.  We
looked into buying a new celeste and were told the price is $40k, too
much to pay to play "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy."
     I've often thought somebody ought to build one with a mixed grand
and upright action, or every other wippen an upright wippen so the tone
bars could fit between the hammers.  With a Fandrich upright action the
touch could be about the same for each note.--Just a far out thought.
\
-Mike Jorgensen