.Whipping Bass Strings

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 22:30:44 EST

<< Hi List,
 I have never been in favour, of whipping Bass strings to liven them up.
 I always felt, that new strings were the way to go, for long lasting
 results.
 Have I been doing my customers, a dis-service, by not offering this
 option?
 How long lasting, are, the results of whipping the Bass strings?
 Regards,
 John M. Ross
 Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada.

John:

If a customer doesn't know there are options, you are not doing them a
disservice.

To answer your question. I don't "whip"  bass strings. I have, on occasion,
twisted them to try to get more sound out of them. Usually, though, I try to
convince the customer to put a new set of bass strings on. I tell them I can't
guarantee that twisting the bass strings will give better results, and that if
in the process of doing so, I break one, she will have to pay for it. Not only
that, but dead bass strings are usually found in old uprights, or old, cheap,
small grands. And I am one of those technicians who doesn't believe in
restoring old, cheap pianos. (Please, lets not start a new thread on this.
We've been through that several times).

Willem Blees