alternatives for soundboard

Tony Caught caute@accessnt.com.au
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 19:13:52 +0930

Peter,

I built an experimental piano once using a spruce soundboard, laminated =
to hold a small crown and used no ribs.  Admitidly the bridge was of a =
different type and in a different position than standard, however,=20

The tone was slightly hollow, the volume was down, but the sustain was =
incredible.   Ihave seen many old (1800s) piano with seemingly no crown =
but still with a reasonably sound.

I think the answer is quite simple. =20

Energy.   A given amount of energy (caused by the vibrating string) will =
produce both volume and sustain.  If the volume is increased the sustain =
is decreased and vice versa.  It is still the same amount of energy =
being used.

The other factor is how much energy is lost by a soundboard being out of =
balance, or too thick on the edges, or incorrectly mounted.

Many pianists loved the sound of my experimental piano but to me, it had =
the sound of another instrument.  Something inbetween the sound of a =
piano and a harpsicord. =20

Harpsicords have no ribs and no crown, possibly this is the tie in that =
makes the piano sound like a piano.