Damper Felts & Fabric Softener

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Wed, 02 Dec 1998 05:43:35

At 03:24 PM 12/1/98 -0600, Roger wrote:
>Hi Barrie,
>              I have used steam with great success, a little safety trick,
>take some polythene and masking tape to protect the hammers.  Place action
>in cradle with dampers facing down, use an electric kettle and pass the
>spout under the dampers about 2 or 3 inches away from the dampers, one
>quick pass, repeat as required. A smart guy like you will soon figure it out.
>I only have tried fabric softener twice, and there seemed to be some
>distortion re shape of damper, it works but you need a longer drying time.
>Either way take a hair drier to ensure that the felt is dry,
>if damp felt has pressure applied to it, you will end up in the same boat
>or worse.
>Regards Roger

Hi, Roger

I think I'll try steam the next time I have hardened upright dampers to
deal with. The worst that could happen is that I would have to replace the
felt (and maybe reglue a few damper heads) and this is not so different
from what would happen anyway, without steam.

My concern about using fabric softener on damper felt is that the fabric
softener's anti-cling properties work mainly through attracting moisture.
That is, fabric softener is hygroscopic (isn't it?) Attracting moisture to
something that rests against piano wire doesn't seem like a good idea to
me. One of the better features of steam is that after it has evaporated, it
leaves nothing behind.

Regards,

Susan

>At 07:16 PM 01/12/98 +0000, you wrote:
>>Dear All
>>
>>I have a trade Knight to come in.  The tuner says that the dampers are
>>OK However, it is 20 years old from my experience I would say that the
>>wedge dampers are going to be hard and zing.  He has not budgeted for
>>new dampers which I did point out he should.... It is his customer, I
>>think he is not happy with regulating upright dampers.
>>
>>The Q  have you tried   Fabric Softener on damper felts and with what
>>results or steam. Getting them clean is not a problem as I can blast
>>them will 150 pounds of compressed air through a pin hole nosel, that
>>shifts most of the muck.   Since this piano will be over 200 miles away
>>I don't fancy travelling down later to fix zinging notes.
>>
>>Barrie,
>>

>>--
>>
>>Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally
Friendly