Suggestions

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Tue, 01 Dec 1998 01:18:17 -0800

Arthur:
	There are different techniques for repairing damaged finishes,
depending upon the severity of the burns.  It requires knowledge of
various touchup materials and how to use them.  If you are interested in
learning some of the techniques yourself, I could point you in the right
direction.  Otherwise, a good furniture repair/touchup person should be
able to do it for you.  A simple wax crayon may help hide the damage
(you can purchase in hardware stores).  Making the repair "invisible"
requires the proper materials, colored stains, french polishing
techniques, lacquer sticks, spray lacquers, etc.  It depends on how much
you want to do yourself.  If it is a high quality piano, I'd leave it to
the experts.  If not, you can purchase a few colored touchup pens and
wax pencils.  Match the background color and draw grain lines to
camouflage the area.  Then spritz some lacquer over the area to seal.
If the finish is satin, use some fine 4/0 steel wool lightly to match
the sheen.
	Good luck!
	Paul McCloud
	San Diego