First spinet piano

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 19:11:32 -0600 (CST)

Keith,
At 16:46 11/30/98 -0600, you wrote:

>Unfortunately, Clyde, that information does not constitute the first
>spinet.  It might have been Haddorf's first spinet, and likewise Winter
>indicates it made its first spinet in 1935.
<snip>

In my probably faulty research I find that Robert Wornum of London made a
40" vertical in 1811.  I seem to recall that Pape in Paris made one in the
1830's, but I can't lay my hands on my notes to confirm.

Either way, the 20th century 1 metre or less pianos are a revival, not an
invention.  Stephen or Anne would have better info on those 19th cent. types.

Conrad Hoffsommer  hoffsoco@luther.edu

First Law of Freelance Artists:
-A high-paying rush job comes in only after you
 have committed to a low-paying rush job.