soundboard cleaning/rep.

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 21:08:15 -0400

Arlan,

If the soundboard needs cleaning and repair, chances are the piano needs
restringing, bridge work, and a new pin block anyway.

On the other hand, you may be lucky and have a grand in which the pinblock
is not glued and dowled to the stretcher and rim.  In that case ease
tension on all strings, remove any bolts that hold the pinblock to the case
(leave the pinblock bolted to the plate) remove the nose bolt nuts, plate
rim bolts, and lift out the plate, strings, and pinblock as a unit.
Complete soundboard repairs, and drop the plate and attached parts back in.
 Should work.

Frank Weston