Sciortino Coil Maker)

Billbrpt Billbrpt@aol.com
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 20:42:02 EDT

In a message dated 4/28/98 6:35:08 PM Central Daylight Time,
 rmartin30@juno.com writes:

<< My statement was that the Sciortino INSTA-COILER directions state that
 there  is no need to use a becket. The tool socket is inserted over the pin
 while you are holding the wire into the pin hole. You then turn the handle
 which picks up the wire and holds it in place until you begin winding with
 either a tuning hammer or ratchet wrench equipped with the proper fixture  to
 fit the pin. >>

I'm going to skip the part about your "diagnosis" of me for your sake.  The
 becket is the right angled part of the wire which goes into the eye of the
 pin.  The point wish I had been trying to make to Jerry and which I think he
 understood well, is that even though the Sciortino tool does very well in
 creating a nice, tight bend which most often does not require any furthur
 closure, it is not entirely perfect nor consistent.

Therefore, it is important to at least check the closure of the becket before
 putting too much tension on the wire.  If you do put sufficient tension on the
 wire and the becket is slightly open, you will distort the 90º bend and you
 will not be able to tightly close the becket afterwards.  If you do distort
 this bend inadvertently, loosen the coil slightly, close the becket as best
 possible, lift the coil, tighten the wire and tap the coil afterwards.

Ralph, I see no need to take any advice of yours, thank you.  I am not always
 right about everything, I do not know everything.  I have questions too.  Some
 of the reactions that I get from some members of this List are beyond belief!
 Also, some of the "information", including a plethora from you, I find to be
 dubious at best, simply and obviously wrong, quite often.  Using those cliché
 abbreviations and "smiley" or "frown" faces is kid's stuff, if you ask me, so
 it is not my style to use them.

Opinions are opinions and everyone is entitled to express them as long as they
 remain civil.  Information is another matter.  I cringe sometimes at what I
 read here.  This List may be used by students and researchers.  I don't like
 or want to see erroneous statements published as fact.  That is one reason why
 I have been so contentious with the ET vs HT issues.  There are many who
 apparently believe things which just are not true.  The "perfect pitch" issue
 is another example.  I am grateful to Jim for digging up all the listings he
 has.  Still, what has been shown is that there is not a definite concensus
 about what to even call this phenomenon.  The very label of "perfect" leaves
 much to be desired.

If I were you, Ralph, I would just delete any and all posts you see from me.
 That way, none of them will disturb you.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin