Back to coil tapping, momentarily

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 08:43:46 -0500 (CDT)

Bill, Jim, etc,

Through the same period, I had to move a lot of back bridge pins on the low
tenor bridge in the consoles to get some side bearing. Baldwin assured me
that everything was jig drilled and that was impossible, but there were a
lot of bridge pins that were nowhere near a string (or buzzing against one)
in those pianos. I always wondered how that could have happened in a
'jig-drill and index' manufacturing world.

Ron

>Bill,
>I remember this also.  In the early 80's I was doing a lot of work for a
>Baldwin dealer.  For about 2 years the new Baldwin spinets and consoles
>coming from the factory had terrible looking coils.  I didn't notice any
>difference in tuning stability, but they sure didn't look very good.
>The Baldwin  dealer rep told me that it was done as a time saver in the
>factory.  I think that reaction from tuners in the field helped them to
>return to the old methods.
>Jim Krentzel
>
>PI>I remember mention in the PTJ about twenty years ago, possibly during Jack
>PI>Krefting's stinit as editor, mention of a Baldwin R&D experiemnt with
>PI>sloppy coils. One piano was strung up with rediculously poor coiled, and
>PI>the workers observed it for tuning difficulty and instability. No
>PI>difference. One might question why a factory would be interested in such a
>PI>question but at elast they never changed any factory procedures based on
>PI>the answer.

 Ron Nossaman