pianotech-digest V1997 #770

Jerry Hunt jhunt@geocities.com
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 08:32:54 -0500

James,

I am also in the process of re-stringing/re-pinning a piano and more or
less following the Reblitz (it's an old upright). I took test
measurements of coil to plate before removing the old strings & pins.
The measurements were:
Three-string unisons  3/16"
Two-string unisons    1/4"
Single strings        5/16"

So far, I'm still in the three-string unisons, which is were I started
re-stringing/re-pinning. I measured the first one (and check
periodically) and found that it turned out right if I drove the pin in
to where a sliver of the bright part (threaded part?) of the pin is
still visible above the plate, then turned the pin with my tuning hammer
to put just enough tension to hold the coil, the coil to plate distance
is just right.
I don't know about the jigs, but I'm sure that it's doable.

--
Jerry Hunt
Dallas, TX