Additional Problem

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Sun, 26 Apr 1998 15:29:26 -0300

Hi List,
To all that answered re "Dead top end', thank you.
The hammers had been bored wrong, they had been copied from a previous
replacement set, so the problem was copounded.
The piano does not have an adjustment to move the action out and in on
the top end. So they will have to be moved on the shank.
I now have a new problem on the piano. The centre section is 'mushy', I
don't know the right word to use to explain it. I can pluck the strings
and all of a sudden when I get to the centre area,   there is a
noticeable loss of tone.
I checked and there is crown in the longest area of the soundboard,
there also is downbearing. The guage of string agrees with a Heintzman D
in John Travis book, of approximately the right serial number. I had
thought it might have been the wrong guage string used when it was
restrung at some time in the past.
The unit is about 1 1/2hrs. drive away. Unfortunately I did not check
the tightness of the bridge pins, would that cause a weaker mushy sound,
which is unfortunately in the centre octave give or take.
Thank you for any additional sugestions you may have to assist me in
solving this problem.
I have learned one thing for certain, It certainly does make it harder
when you have to work on a previously worked on unit.  You can't take
anything for granted as to any parts or positionings of, as being
correct.
Regards,
John M. Ross
PTG Assoc.