Perfect pitch study

DGPEAKE DGPEAKE@aol.com
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 19:50:05 EDT

<< To:	pianotech@ptg.org

 I hesitate to mention the following because I cannot remember where I saw or
 heard of it. It might have been in a medical magazine, possibly the
newspaper,
 but I cannot find the reference.

 The article said that people who  have perfect pitch process sounds in a
 different part of their brains than normal people.  The study was done with a
 nuclear magnetic resonance scanner, scanning the brains for chemical activity
 changes while tones were played to the patients.

 That is all I heard, I have nothing to add, no references to the study. I
 thought I would relay the information in case someone else can actually put
 their hands on the article, or scan search the Internet for such things.

 Bill Simon
 Phoenix

I started playing the piano at the age of 6 and visualized the keyboard by the
sound I was hearing.  I developed "perfect pitch" to the point that I could
turn my back to the keyboard, have someone play a note, and I would tell what
note was being played.  As far as tuning pianos, I do not have perfect pitch.
I defy anyone to say that A440 is exactly 440 cps without measuring it.

BTY, everyone's brain is unique. At least I do not think I am part machine.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR