pin block plugs

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 14:59:32 -0400

NBWW wrote:

> Hi all!
> I've been asked to bid a restringing job on a family heirloom player-Lakeside
> upright circa 1914. The tunings pins are loose. I'd like to install a set of
> plugs and restring the piano ( as well as everthing else it needs), but I
> don't know how long this will take.  Geers have had plugs available for many
> years, so the technique is alive and well. But, how many hours do you allow
> (approximately) to do the job.  Any help wil be appreciated.  Thanks
>
> Paul Chick RPT
> Plainview MN

It's been a while, but I replugged an upright with an open pin panel.
I've also reblocked one upright.

Which approach is more cost effective?

Neither (excepting an extremely unusual instrument).         Sorry.

You could do it anyway just for the experience, but if you do too much
of this kind of thing, you risk being branded as a . . . . . .
hobbyhead!  That's a technician who dives into projects because they're
fun but not cost effective.