Funny Tuner Stories

Mike Masters agraffes@worldnet.att.net
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 21:30:18 -0400

Actually, this is not much of a funny tuner story, kinda sad, but it
fits in with the other posts.  To my surprise this elderly man called me
today inquiring on a problem with his piano. The piano in question was a
25 year old Kimball studio that had never been tuned and had a broken/
sticky key. He asked me how much it would cost to fix it so his grandson
could play it and he could tolerate the racket. I gave him a quote on a
pitch raise, tuning and the repair of a sticky key and proceeded to tell
him that it should be tuned again after about six months. He asked me
how much that will cost. I gave him my fee for tuning and told him that
pianos really should be tuned at least twice a year. He got all bent out
of shape and said for that much money I'll just throw this one away and
go buy another one and throw it away after another twenty-five years. He
hung up......

Mike Masters
Masters Piano Service
Lakewood, OH