Kimball console dampers

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 20:06:08 -0700 (MST)

Hi Wallace:

If you have a damper fork tool, you can slip it between hammers and
preferably under the hammer spring rail to bend the damper wire near the
top of the damper lever. Be very gentle here because you can overdo it.
You may need to do a slight counter bend just below the damper head to make
the damper parallel with the strings again. If the piano has been in that
condition for a long time, the damper felt has probably taken a set with
that angle and it will be difficult to get good damping again. Sometimes it
is easier to cut off all the Bass dampers and install new ones. As the glue
sets you can adjust them for maximum fit to the strings. Of course, if you
are going to go to all that trouble, then you might as well align the
damper heads a little better with the strings before gluing in the new
dampers.

Jim Coleman, Sr.