Coil tapping

Marvin McDonald pianomarv@earthlink.net
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 20:04:51 -0700

Jim Coleman, Sr. wrote:

> To All:
>
> Coil tapping is usually taken care of at the factory. All good rebuilders
> do this routinely because they know that this will save them several
> rough tunings. The technician in the field should not have to do any
> additional coil tapping on well made pianos.
>
> I have a 25 year old Baldwin SF10. I lightly tapped two pin coils. Nothing
> changed pitchwise. Perhaps there might be some change on a very new piano
> but I don't have one available just now.
>
> Jim Coleman, Sr.

Jim,
I am working for Allegro Piano Service in Tacoma.  Mike Reiter is the
Technical Services Manager for Allegro.  Allegro is a division of Prosser
Music Company.  We almost always find that we have to tap the coils in the
Samicks,  Wurlitzers,  and Young Chang but only an occasional Baldwin.
Mostly in the Grands not so much in the verticals.  This is after they have
been uncrated.  You would be surprised at the difference in the tuning after
the coils have been tapped.  I have had the piano fall as much as 70 to 80
cents flat.  Once they're done and brought back up to pitch they are
considerably more stable.

Marvin McDonald, Jr.