Chickering hinge

Gilreath Gilreath@aol.com
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 16:40:54 EDT

<< Weren't there a few lines of Baldwin pianos that were made by Hyundai
 (Samick)? I know that there was "D.H. Baldwin" and it was Korean made.

Greg,

A quick rundown:

Baldwin has had Samick build an instrument under the DH Baldwin, Kranich &
Bach, Howard, and Wurlitzer names.  These instruments all have model numbers
starting with C (as in C153 for the current Wurlitzer product.)  All the same
instruments with different names out front.  Formerly, Wurlitzer grands were
built for Wurlitzer, and later Baldwin, by Young Chang and start with G, as in
G452.  At one point in time,  many years ago, there was a DH Baldwin
instrument built by Kawai in Japan.

I'm sure this is all clear as mud, but if you need clarification in any
particular model, call Kent Webb at Baldwin or email him at
Kent_Webb@BPAO.com.

BTW, I'm not really sure how this worked down to a rim discussion since the
original problem sounds like it is with the continuous hinge that attaches the
front part of the lid to the main part.  This sounds like it could easily have
been damaged by movers at some point who allowed the front part of the lid to
get up on top of the skid board.  Might be worth taking a look to see if there
are signs of damage to the finish or a bending pattern that would be
consistent.

Later,

Allan

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT