Hammer Butt Alignment

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 14:08:21

Greetings Jim,
               Thanks for the defence, but Ted is one of the true Gentlemen
of the proffession, I have have lectured on occasions about nomenclature to
tech groups and teachers so the rebut is called for, however I will proably
call them catchers forever, as this old dog is slow to learn new tricks.
  You raise a good point about the manufacturers, unless we get them on
side what hope do we have? Maybe a Guild project to standardise the
industry. How many years to arrive at A440 ???????
Smiling Roger.

At 10:31 PM 4/18/98 EDT, you wrote:

>In a message dated 4/18/98 8:48:45 PM, Ted_Sambell@BanffCentre.AB.CA wrote:
>
><<By the way, I do not like to be pedantic, but the correct name is
>'catches', not 'catchers', ........................... but because one
>sees this misspelling periodically, and we really should try to keep a
>reasonable degree of standardization in nomenclature.>>
>
>Ted;
> I agree with your comment on standardization re: Butt Checks :-)
>Steinway calls them....Butt Checks.
>Baldwin calls them....Butt Heels.
>Schaff calls them...Catchers.
>Merle Mason calls them...Back Stops, Catchers, Butt Checks, Butt
Heel.....(but
>then what does Merle know anyway?? He calls the "bottom board"......bottom
>board, or lower front board, or lower frame, or knee board, and even the ever
>popular "kick board".)
>
>I call them..... "the thingee that catches on the back check and keeps the
>hammers from bobbling"...so I suppose they would properly be called
>" hammer anti bobblers", eh what? :-)
>Jim Bryant (FL)
>ps.... I will allow you to tel S&S, Baldwin, Schaff and Merle that they are
>"dilletantes" rather than "professionals"
>pps...  Your post to Roger was probably supposed to be a private one but I
>just couldn't help it......... the devil made me do it:-)

Roger Jolly
Balwin Yamaha Piano Centres.
Saskatoon/Regina.
Canada.