Hammer Butt parts

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 14:23:26 -0500

----------
> From: JIMRPT <JIMRPT@aol.com>
> To: Ted_Sambell@BanffCentre.AB.CA; owner-pianotech@ptg.org;
pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re:  Re: Hammer Butt Alignment
> Date: Saturday, April 18, 1998 9:31 PM
>

> In a message dated 4/18/98 8:48:45 PM, Ted_Sambell@BanffCentre.AB.CA
wrote:

> <<By the way, I do not like to be pedantic, but the correct name is
> 'catches', not 'catchers', ........................... but because one
> sees this misspelling periodically, and we really should try to keep a
> reasonable degree of standardization in nomenclature.>>
>
> Ted;
>  I agree with your comment on standardization re: Butt Checks :-)
> Steinway calls them....Butt Checks.
> Baldwin calls them....Butt Heels.
> Schaff calls them...Catchers.

Hmm.  No one calls them Back Catches?  I see though that Reblitz calls
them Catchers, and so does Young Chang.  Now APSCO calls it a Back Stop in
the action diagram, but upright butt catches in the catalog, but if you
have to look in the index, to find out what page they are on, you'll be
left scratching your you-know-what.

I dunno why the trap board is usually called the bottom board, or the
bottom pannel is called everything but...
	Now if someone could explain why the key cover is called the fall
board.......
Richard Whatsinaname Moody