Hammer techniques

BSimon1234 BSimon1234@aol.com
Tue, 14 Apr 1998 16:19:11 EDT

Since many beginning tuning students lurk on this list, I just wanted to add
my two cents to the "hard tuning" discussion, starting a new thread because
this is off track from the other discussion.

I have found that no single hammer technique, or tuning technique, will work
on all pianos. Some tune best with an impact technique that might not be right
for an old piano with marginal pins, some tune best with an even pull.

I especially remember how good I got at tuning my own piano in my student
days, again and again, and again.  When I graduated to doing free tunings on
PSO's in small churches I rapidly found my hammer technique did not work on
most of them.  Good tuning is heavily dependent on practice and experience.  I
think an  experienced tuner feels what is going on with the pin and string and
adjusts technique without even thinking about it. I know I do.

B. Simon
Phoenix