Not such a stupid question

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 21:39:45 -0400

Frank and list,

>Having just experimented with restringing a harpsichord, I feel somewhat
>qualified to comment on this subject.
>
>1.  Forget neatness.  No tight, precisely aligned coils.

Well, actually Frank,   they are supposed to be attractive,  with a pretty
Xing, and angle, then a nice diagonal single to the tightly coiled section,
but the style is different than for pianos.    In reality, the look is
irrevelant to the function for both pianos and harpsichords.

>2.  Grab about 6 inches of wire, start on the flat and wind about six coil
>around the pin clockwise.
>
>3.  Hold this coil, take the wire leading to the hitchpin, and wind it
>counterclockwise over the coil already on the pin.  Wire must cross over
>itself or it won't hold.  Wind on about six coils.
>
>4.  Allow the wire to untwist.

Actually,  the art is to work your wrapping and and wire twisting so that
the wire becomes "untwisted" correctly, by observing the twists you
introduce, and then reversing equally by reversing your ...well,   trust me
it works.

>5.  Start over because the whole thing explodes in your face when you
>release a little tension.

Now didn't I tell you to keep it under tension?

Don't forget the bandaids, as that itty bitty wire will go right into your
finger.

>6.  Get drill, drill hole in pin, then string in your usual fashion.

I'm enjoying this Frank.  Frank, bring it to me.  I have a great old Knabe
for you which I find a pain.!

Anne

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos