Detuning, the sequel

DGPEAKE DGPEAKE@aol.com
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 21:36:51 EDT

<<
 I forgot to mention that in the middle of the saga of the two Steinway D's
 tuned a quarter step apart, I got a message saying the pianos were "too in
 tune". Now, is that something to go on the resume or what? I feel like
 I've spent my whole career working toward that reaction.

 I also have to say that, although I would deny having perfect pitch,
 tuning a piano a quarter step flat irritated me to no end. Almost as bad
 as hearing a pipe organ get tuned.

 Mark Graham
 Baldwin-Wallace Conservatory of Music
 Berea, Ohio

Years ago a fellow technician told me when he was an apprentice, he tuned for
a customer and spent hours to get it where he wanted it.  The customer was not
happy and wanted him to retune it.  It turned out the customer was used to a
honky tonk sound, so he tuned the unisons slitley off, and a happy customer in
the end.

I will not tune any piano flat when it is desined for A440.  Sometimes I am
asked to to at A442, especially for conserts, and when I do it, I charge for 2
pitch changes, one to pitch raise, and the other to pitch lower when the next
group wants it down to A440.

Food for thought.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR